Sunday 1 January 2012

Dig For Victory!


 I pretty much daydream about our house day in, day out. It is NEVER from my thoughts. As you all know I am obsessed with it!. I can already imagine what its going to look like and how we will sit in the garden in the summer, drinking pimms amongst the herb garden and sunflowers. Which has lead me to this post. THE GARDEN!.

 Possibly the only part of the house I haven't scrap booked about.  But that doesn't mean I have forgotten it. I really want to try and incorporate 1940's values and ideas into our family home life, see my larder of love post  see here so of course I want a little vegetable patch and herb garden. Dig for victory!.






  I'm no gardening expert but I so want to have a go at my own veg. I think there is nothing better than popping out to the garden picking some of your home grown produce and then eating it!. DELICIOUS!.

 I'm going to be honest here, I have pretty much no experience. BUT, my beloved late grandpa and my wonderful nan had serious Green fingers. I can remember playing in their beautiful, perfectly manicured garden. Filled with the most stunning colours and smells!. I used to call it the fairy garden, it really was quite magical. A little oasis amidst the concrete.

 When my grandpa passed away I was lucky enough to have been given some of his things. Among them was this book. I feel like this is his way of saying, 'Go for it!' It really is a nostalgic, interesting read and packed full to the brim with everything you would need to know. Whether it be a vegetable patch, keeping chickens, flowers, garden pests right through to bee keeping!. I think it was first published in 1947 and this defiantly looks like a 1940's style book to me..Swoon!.

My grandpa's book.





 As I was flicking through the book I found a page my grandpa must have bookmarked. Madly enough it was the diary of the year-which vegetables were in season, how to grow/look after. All the information one might need to grow their own!. Set in monthly pages January right through to December.
 At this point I had a little cry. This book mark was so meant for me!.

 So with my best land girl attitude and my grandpas book I am set to have a garden to make him, and my nan, proud. Tonight I am all set with a cup of green tea, a long soak in the tub armed with the book. Hoping to soak up some of unknown territory that is 'Pratical gardening and food production, in pictures'.



If anyone has any tips, advice please get in touch, I need all the help I can get!.


Lauren x




2 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren,
    I saw your article in Homes and Antiques magazine and loved it! You are so inspiring. Just read your blog about gardening; if you contact your local council (which I did down here in sunny Folkestone) they often provide gardening courses free of charge, if your lucky you can also learn to forage. Worth a try, good luck! Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much what a lovely thing to say!. And thanks so much for the tip. I'm going to get in touch with my local council now. Thanks for taking your time to read my blog =D x

    ReplyDelete